Thursday, March 16, 2006

Marketing, Marketing....

When I started my business, I was new to business, and like many other business owners was pretty clueless about marketing. As a non-profit manager and administrator our marketing needs were limited. Now, after 3 years in business, I have learned and implemented so many marketing approaches. At first, I thought marketing was not very much fun, but now, I am starting to have a lot of fun with it.

You have to first get past the fear of the "No". I found that this took a while. In the scheme of the world and even of my own life, someone saying "No" to me is just not that big of a deal. Yet, I feared it. At this point in my business, I no longer fear it, and actually want to set up systems so that people are saying it faster. Faster? Why faster? Well, if they are going to say "No", I need to hear it and move on. I don't want to spend a lot of time and energy with them to get to "No". I have changed my approach in meeting or talking with people so that we get there faster. I have spent hours with people doing an initial consultation, for FREE, and then gotten to the "No". At the same time, as they are telling me how great the consultation was. It motivated me to want to get there faster. I am using a process to let people know upfront what my fees are and policies are, prior to consult, and letting them know that it is time limited and we get to a decision point at the half hour mark. They're responsibility is to come to the meeting ready to make the decision.

Are you afraid of "No", in your marketing and sales? How can you create a system that gets you there faster so that you can move on? You don't want to spend valuable time trying to sell to someone that is ultimately going to say "No", and you certainly don't want to do that with folks that are walking in the door, knowing they aren't buying.

Give up the fear of thhe "no" and then create your powerful system or process for managing your resources (time) in reagrds to it.

Happy Marketing!!

No comments: